There are many different ways in cutting the cost for installing hardwood flooring. You can cost cut by doing it yourself, by choosing less expensive but quality materials, and even by knowing the level of humidity in your room to match an appropriate wood for that. However, nothing is more than important than accurate projection of hardwood flooring cost based on knowing the prices of the species of hardwood you would want to have as flooring. There are different costs of hardwood flooring, mainly because of the variety of hardwood available.
Generally available engineered hardwood:
- Birch wood
Variations of the cost of hardwood flooring
Other than the type of wood that will affect the cost of hardwood flooring, there are also other things or elements to be considered. These elements contribute to the quality that is present in the wood. It also helps in categorizing the wood according to its most appropriate use in hardwood flooring.
- Texture of the surface, this is the natural decoration that comes with the wood itself. It also adds to the aesthetic value of the wood.
- Warranty. You will be able to go back to the dealer if there is something wrong with the wood while it is under warranty. You will also be able to request to replace the wood if needed.
- Gloss level tells as to how shiny the wood can get. Not all types of wood get shiny at all. Keep that in mind if you expect a reflective gloss wax.
- Where the wood can be used. You use the wood for residential rooms as well as commercial rooms. That would greatly depend on the type of wood that you choose. There is actually a fine line of difference for hardwood flooring for residential use and commercial use.
Knowing these simple things will let you know the cost of hardwood flooring in advance. You may not know the exact cost yet but at least you already have an idea as to how much it will cost. Different types of wood will give you different range of prices. This range of prices is affected by the elements cited earlier because it affects the quality of the wood. Hardwood flooring cost entails a little bit of hard work on your part. But it is ok since the outcome of the project is much more rewarding compared to regular flooring.
Hardwood flooring installation cost is something that you need to know when you are planning to add hardwood flooring in your project. You can always do it yourself but still it entails some money. This is one major consideration in plotting your hardwood flooring cost.
Hardwood flooring installation cost and materials
- Preparation of the old floor so that you can install a new flooring - You have to reassess the existing subfloor that you have for the project. Recheck if you need to replace the plywood.
- Installing the new flooring. It is advised by most experts that the wood to be used as flooring should stay in the room where it will be installed for at least a week. This is to let the wood adjust the level of humidity and temperature of the room. On average, other than installing the hardwood flooring, you also have to remove the moldings, place the vapor barriers or the foam underlay, and cut the materials into sizes that will fit the room.
- Other materials will include the glue or the adhesive used as well as cleansers or sealants. These are used to put everything together in place. If this is a new installation of the flooring, it is recommended that the flooring must have the manufacturer’s treatment. This will ensure you that you will get the best results. This way you will be able to maximize the hardwood flooring installation cost that you invested.
Hardwood flooring installation cost for manpower
You can always do the floor installation on your own. Doing it on your own will help you save on the hardwood flooring installation cost. You can also customize the flooring according to the design that you want. However you have to note that there are certain things in the process of installation that really needs a skillful hand. There surely are times that when you reassess the existing subflooring, it will need to be replaced almost entirely. This replacement will really need a professional to be completed properly. If you already have a skilled worker in doing hardwood flooring installation, then it’s best that way. Hiring a handyman is not a bad idea. It will help you do the work in a shorter amount of time. Hiring does not necessarily mean that they will be the one who will completely do the work. They can assist you in doing the work also.
Hardwood flooring cost is not just about the materials that are needed. It is also about the manpower that is involved in completing the project. The hardwood flooring installation cost will also vary depending on the demand of the project. If you want it to be done in a shorter period of time, you will need to pay more.
Solid or Engineered?
Hardwood flooring cost is something that is necessary to consider, whether you’re designing just a room or an entire home. Many times, the cost of the hardwood flooring is a major factor in determining the entire project’s cost. Hardwood is beautiful, and thus a temping option for most. Even if you fear it’s too costly, you will be able to lessen the cost by applying simple strategies.
Whether designing a room or an entire house, consider what type of wood flooring that you would like to use. Generally there are two types of wood flooring: solid wood flooring and engineered wood flooring. Choosing the best type of hardwood flooring for your project will help you lessen the hardwood flooring cost so that you can allocate the savings for other items in the project.
Solid Wood Flooring
Solid wood flooring comes in a variety of dimensions and styles. The commonality for solid wood flooring is that each plank is made from a single piece of timber. Originally, this type of hardwood flooring was used as support beams you might find inside a building, only for structural purposes. However, in contemporary times, this flooring is used for aesthetic purposes. The reason it’s not used in this way anymore is because of the durability limitations that this type of wood has. With the limitations being present, you would have to account not only for the cost in completing the project but also in replacing and maintaining the wood in the future. In other words, you’d end up spending more long term.
Engineered Wood Flooring
This type of wood flooring is usually composed of layers in forms of planks. The topmost layer is the visible layer once the flooring is installed, while the core provides for the durability of the product. Engineered wood flooring is sometimes confused with laminate, vinyl, and veneer flooring. The three are not made of real wood unlike engineered wood flooring. These are artificial materials to imitate the characteristics and/or appearance of real wood. Currently there are no cited limitations in using engineered wood flooring. Engineered Wood Flooring generally provides the most bang for your buck. Your projected hardwood flooring cost will ensure you a successful project with less money allocated for future maintenance.
You might find that many hardwood flooring manufacturers in the United States still use solid wood flooring. However, engineered wood flooring is catching up with the trend since this type of flooring is used in other parts of the globe much more commonly. Whatever type you choose, you can always benefit from its aesthetic qualities and its functionality. Knowing the necessary hardwood flooring cost will surely help you have beauty and durability in your home for years to come.
When your project includes hardwood flooring, you will generally have to consider a larger budget than with materials like tile, laminate, or concrete. Hardwood flooring cost does not come cheap as the making of the wood itself is not also cheap. You will have to consider various elements that will be including in your projection as to properly count the cost.
- The installation itself. This will include the materials, insulation, and the finishing of the site.
- Type of wood flooring that you would like to have. You can have engineered, laminated, or solid.
- The labor for the installation. This actually isn’t a difficult task, so if you’re handy you may be up to it. However, if you want to get the job done properly, you should consider having a professional to help you.
- The waste allowance that you will have to prepare. There are times that in the pile of wood that you bought for your hardwood flooring, not all of them will withstand or even suit the humidity level of your room. You need to have a prepared allowance for wasted pieces so that you will be able to complete the project on time. This tends to vary by type of wood.
- Custom borders, patterns, other designs. It’s becoming increasingly more popular to have custom carving done to hardwood flooring, generally around room thresholds. This will add up in your projected cost since you have to pay extra for the wood and also extra for the labor for custom craftsmanship. Unless of course, you have the sculpting skills yourself.
What else to consider on how much will hardwood flooring cost?
- You might want to consider the trending of the season. There are seasons wherein building of structures with hardwood flooring will be easier than others. It depends a lot on location but you could find out about this from your local hardware store.
- Consider the humidity of your room. Not all types of wood to be used in hardwood flooring will work out in every level of humidity. Know the appropriate wood for the level of humidity in your room and you will be able to know an estimate of how much hardwood flooring cost you can save.
Always remember that precaution is always better than cure. If you know the things that will contribute the total cost of the project, you will also know how to allocate your money to complete the project. You don’t want to end up short on money or end up too many materials remaining. Know an estimate of the hardwood flooring cost and you will not be disappointed after the project is done.
What is a hardwood flooring cost calculator?
Features found in hardwood flooring cost calculators
- Approximate project area in square feet. If you do not know the approximate project area, there are other calculators where you can manually put in the measurement of the length and the width.
- Material. You will be able to choose between hardwood flooring, carpet flooring, laminate flooring, tile flooring, and vinyl flooring. These are just some of the types of flooring that you can choose from.
- Removal of old flooring. You are given this option just in case you decide to really remove the old flooring. You may also choose not to remove the old flooring.
- Age of Property. You might find this unusual in hardwood flooring cost calculators. This is actually helpful for you and the contractor who will be helping you since materials age after some time. Knowing the age of the property will help the contractor prepare the necessary materials and methods to be employed to properly install the new hardwood flooring.
- Desired workmanship level. You are given the option for emphasizing either of the three: quality, cost, and the balance of quality and cost. This helps you prepare the money you need to shell out in completing the project.
Hardwood flooring cost calculators are really helpful in projecting hardwood flooring cost. It will help you prepare beforehand the needed amount of money to start and to finish the project. You can do the project on your own but you will still have roughly the same estimate projected by the calculator.